Man who cared for Central Coast toddler Darcy Atkinson to appear in court in July

Written by admin on 05/07/2018 Categories: 南京夜网

Toddler had brain injury, bruising and Ritalin in system before he diedDarcy Atkinson showed no signs of paddle-boarding fall when examined by paramedicsFather of dead toddler feared his ‘perfect’ son was in danger
Nanjing Night Net

The family of a Central Coast toddler who died after being rushed to hospital with a severe brain injury will have to wait three months before the man responsible for the child’s care prior to his death gives evidence in the NSW Coroner’s Court.

Two-year-old Darcy Atkinson died on December 7, 2012 from severe intracranial pressure brought about by the brain injury, and his death is now the subject of a coronial inquiry before Deputy State Coroner Hugh Dillon.

The inquest has examined a number of possible explanation’s for the child’s death, including that he was suffering from a mysterious medical condition that may have produced the brain injury without the infliction of any force.

It has also examined a suggestion by Darcy’s mother’s boyfriend, Adam Taylor, that the toddler’s brain injury could have occurred when he fell backwards and hit his head while the pair were paddle boarding on Avoca Lake on December 6.

Mr Taylor raised this possibility with paramedics and subsequently with doctors at Gosford and Westmead Hospitals, and Darcy’s mother Tara-Rae Maxwell said she had received a text message from Mr Taylor earlier that day telling her about the incident.

She has been unable to produce the text message.

On Wednesday and Thursday this week one of the doctors who treated Darcy said that there was strong evidence two-year-old had been assaulted in the day leading up to his admission to hospital, and that the brain injury had been violently inflicted.

“What I know to be fact is that the child was thrashed, probably that day … I know that he received a blow to the back of the head,” Dr Wilkins said.

” … and even more importantly and relevant … I know that he was boxed on the ears probably that day … he died consequently,” he said.

Dr Wilkins said it was possible the fatal brain injury was inflicted by the blows to Darcy’s ears, which produced bruising deep inside the ears, but he did not know exactly when the injuries were inflicted nor who had inflicted them.

Mr Taylor was due to give evidence at the inquest this week. It was to be the first time he had provided a detailed account of what happened the day before Darcy’s death, as he elected not to speak to police.

However on Thursday Coroner Hugh Dillon was forced to adjourn the inquest until July 16 as it had exceeded the time available, leaving Darcy’s family with an agonising wait for more information.

“I’m broken … it’s broken my life,” Darcy’s biological father Peter Atkinson said outside court after the adjournment on Thursday.

“I jut think about it all the time.”

“Just be careful who you leave your kids with … What happened to Darcy was disgusting.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments Off on Man who cared for Central Coast toddler Darcy Atkinson to appear in court in July