A convicted paedophile has been deported from WA to New Zealand.The Department of Immigration has confirmed a convicted paedophile has been deported from Western Australia to New Zealand sparking fears he will be free to attack more children.
After 18 months in jail the 67-year-old man was released from Casuarina Prison last week into the custody of immigration officials. He was due to be deported to New Zealand on Friday night.
On Saturday morning, WAtoday received a statement from the Department of Immigration saying the Department “could confirm that this person has been removed from Australia to New Zealand”.
His family are concerned that the WA parole conditions, which would apply to the man if he had been allowed to stay here, will effectively become redundant now that he is living abroad.
Speaking to 6PR Radio’s mornings host Gary Adshead on Thursday, the man’s daughter, known as “Cindy” said she held grave concerns for children in New Zealand and feared her paedophile father would reoffend if not properly supervised by police.
The man, who cannot be named in order to protect the identity of his victim, was sentenced to three years in jail in August 2013 after a District Court judge found him guilty of three charges of indecently dealing with his 10-year-old granddaughter in 2012.
The three incidents spanned one day when the girl’s mother was ill and she was in her grandfather’s care.
In sentencing, District Court Judge Simon Stone told the offender: “Your conduct towards (your victim) could only be described as reprehensible. It impacted upon her and destroyed your family. In effect, you stole her innocence as a child.”
Judge Stone ordered the man be made a reportable sex offender, meaning his particulars are listed on the Australian National Child Offender Register.
Under the terms of his WA parole conditions the man was to have no contact with children and no computer access. He was to have reported regularly to police, undergone random alcohol and drug testing, be subjected to ANCOR monitoring and was banned from contacting his victim.
But Cindy told 6PR she called NZ Police on March 20 to check the parole conditions and they told her they had no idea that he was being deported.
“I will be forever grateful to the Australian Government for deporting him but we were assured that the strict parole conditions he would be on here in WA would definitely be the same ones placed on him in New Zealand,” she said.
Cindy said the family had suspected the sexual abuse of her niece since April 2010, but an investigation by the Department of Community Protection had stalled because the young girl did not disclose the offences to case workers.
“Up until then he had been a really great dad and we trusted him 100 per cent,” she said.
“I’m an adult survivor of child sexual abuse myself and just to hear that from him that this had been going on with my niece, his own granddaughter, for years and years and years…
“The judge said he found that he had been abusing her since she was six years old. As a family, we believe it was many, many years before that.
“I have no doubt whatsoever that he will reoffend.”
Cindy said her father had admitted to certain aspects of his offending to her and her mother, which they relayed to their GP who made a mandatory report to the Department of Community Protection in 2010.
But when Cindy’s then eight-year-old niece did not disclose the offending to DCP officers, the case stalled and was not followed up.
Believing her father was innocent, Cindy’s sister allowed him to move into their home with her children, when the abuse he was later convicted of occurred. The girls’ mother made a report to police in 2012 when her daughter confided in her that the abuse had been occurring.
During sentencing, defence lawyer Simon Freitag told the court the matter of monitoring of his client upon his return to New Zealand was a matter for ANCOR authorities to arrange.
“Ultimately when he is released into the community, as he must be at some point, he will endeavour to return to New Zealand where he has some support and I think your Honour is aware of that through the psychological report,” Mr Freitag told the WA District Court on August 1, 2013.
“And that may also allay some of your Honour’s concerns about contact with his daughters and with the grandchildren because he intends to be elsewhere for the remainder of his life.
“I am not aware of what the New Zealand legislation is, your Honour, that will be a matter, I think, for ANCOR to arrange. I assume, without knowing, that there would be an equivalent body of some type in New Zealand.” Follow WAtoday on Twitter
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.