Ryan LukeDUAL North Ballarat City premiership player Ryan Luke will miss the start of the season for a second-straight year through suspension.
Luke has been slapped with a four-match ban for front-on contact during City’s practice match with Geelong Football League outfit Leopold at Eureka Stadium late last month.
The sanction follows a two-game suspension for breaching social media guidelines after the 2013 Ballarat Football League grand final triumph, when it is understood he made comments over Facebook towards Sunbury players amid late-night premiership celebrations.
North Ballarat City football manager Stephen Darbin said
it was “doubtful “the club would appeal the AFL Goldfields Independent Tribunal’s decision, and it was disappointing Luke would again miss the start of a new campaign.
“There wasn’t any intent to cause the kid damage and, certainly, if you have a look at his tribunal record, Luke’s got a great tribunal record,” said Darbin, who has contacted Leopold to check on the condition of the injured player.
“He (Luke) is hard as hell, but very fair.”
It is understood vision of the incident was provided for the tribunal to use in its deliberations.
Luke, who helped City to back-to-back flags last year, will be forced to sit out the opening clashes with Redan, Ballarat, Bacchus Marsh and Melton South before again being eligible for selection in the round-six encounter with Darley in late May.
City has a bye in round one of the season, which starts on April 18.
Darbin said Luke, a past BFL interleague representative, was the most professional player at the club.
“From a club perspective, we know he is going to come back in good order. It’s disappointing he is going to miss the start of the season.”
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.